The global industry (comprising skin care, color cosmetics, fragrances and such) has been shocked by the COVID-19 crisis as there was a huge change in behaviors, tastes, and preferences of beauty consumers due to mandatory use of face masks and nationwide lockdowns, thereby sharply decreasing the overall sales of makeup products. Even though the beauty market was considerably impacted by economic magnitude of the COVID-19 pandemic, it proved its resiliency in 2021.
The strategic plans for the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021 are listed below:
- Makeup: The pandemic had a considerable impact on makeup products as people are bound to wear face mask on a daily basis in public sphere, leading to reduction in sales of color cosmetics. In response to behavior changes of consumers, the Company decided to delay the launch of certain products and developed and produced transfer-resistant, ultra-long wear lipsticks, powders, and foundations as well as eyebrow innovations instead.
- Skincare: Covid-19 pandemic prompts rise in use of skincare products as people spend additional time at home due to lockdowns. This rise in skincare reflects a long-term shift towards wellness, pampering, and a natural aesthetic. With this in mind, the Company launched a new series of skincare products with innovative ingredients such as sheet masks, sleeping masks, and lip masks with the aim of skyrocketing the sales volume and further increasing brand presence in this particular market.
- Consumer Products: Consumer goods are products intended for everyday consumption, covering a large product portfolio inclusion food and non-food categories. The surging demand stemming from the Coronavirus outbreak led sales of consumer-packaged goods – from toilet paper and canned soup- to increase sharply in 2021. This also gave rise to the emergence of new companies and retailers of consumer goods. To maintain its strong position and visibility in this highly competitive sector, the Company decided to expand product lines, improve quality of existing products as well as keep up with consumer trends on a daily basis.
- Dietary Supplements: Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the interest in immune-enhancing supplements and herbal products as well as their consumption dramatically soared as people were looking to strengthen their immune systems and improve overall health and wellness. In the previous year, the Company developed and manufactured new dietary supplements in a wide variety of flavors and forms, including tablets, capsules as well as powders in order to respond to the ever-changing demands and preferences of health and fitness enthusiasts. The Company offers a huge range of supplements as follows: weight loss supplement, skincare supplement, and detoxifying supplement, and immune-boosting supplement.
- Aromatherapy & Spa Products: Across all channels and geographies, COVID-19 has accelerated the trend towards health and wellness. In recent years, aromatherapy and spa products witnessed a spike in sales of essential oils, reed diffusers, and fragrances as consumer sought to counter the stresses of the pandemic and lockdowns with home spa treatments. As one of the fragrance and aroma leaders in Thailand, Reunrom, a prominent aromatherapy and spa brand under KARMART, received a massive amount of positive responses from both domestic and overseas consumers and successfully reached out to a wider customer base in 2021.
- As the digital economy continue to boom thanks to the pandemic, the Company sees a great opportunity in establishing strong presence in the digital retail space through online stores on various E-Commerce platforms such as Facebook, Line, and other electronic marketplaces – leading to increased sales volume, revenue as well as brand awareness.
- The Company focuses on gaining more new retail distributors with the aim of distributing products to even more localized communities.
- Due to the emergence of COVID-19, the modern trade industry experienced a historic contraction in sales as consumers were required to stay home and avoid crowded settings and turned to digital channels instead. In response to such unexpected situation, the Company decided to launch various sales promotions in order to attract customers throughout the year 2021, including discounted products, free shipping, giveaways, free trials and such.
- The Company focused on the usage of digital media as a primary instrument for promoting and introducing new products to target audience instead of offline media.
- The Company redirected marketing communication focus onto online platforms and launched a diversified portfolio of online events, including Short Film Commercial, Product Review, Facebook Ad, Instagram, Twitter, Tiktok Post and Livestream Shopping on the Facebook Page of each brand under KARMART. Furthermore, the Company has collaborated with high-profile beauty influencers and reviewers from across the country to enhance the brand awareness among beauty aficionados.
- The Company focused on selecting prominent actors and actresses as its brand ambassadors with the purpose of increasing brand awareness and sales of the series of products they represent while also reaching to a larger customer base.
The target audience of each brand under KARMART’s roof is listed below:
- Cathy Doll: Target group is ladies of the age 20 to 35 who embrace diversity with open arms and are playful yet adorable, charming, and confident, searching for innovative products that respond to her changing demands and preferences.
- Baby Bright: Target group is young women of the age 16 to 25 who are beauty enthusiasts seeking for all-natural skincare innovations that pamper and nourish the skin and nutrimental cosmetics to lessen the load of chemicals on her skin.
- Boya: Target group is people of all ages and genders who look for powerful treatments that cater to all hair and body nourishment needs.
- Jejuvita: Target group is young women who are passionate about health and fitness, hunting for dietary supplements which are perfect in terms of both nutrition and taste, making them look and feel good from within.
- Reunrom: Target group is upper middle income and upper social class customers in the age group of 25 – 40 years who are health and wellness fanatics.
- Crayon: Target group is modern ladies who wish to attain professional makeup looks, confidence, and charm with minimum efforts.
- Cathy Choo: Target group: is delicate ladies who fancy floral and herbal fragrances, sophisticated packaging that provides luxurious visual sensation.
- Skynlab: Target group is people of all ages and genders who are in search of oral care and skincare products backed by advanced scientific formulation that deliver tested-and-verified results.
- 7-Clean: Target group is middle class working and stay-at-home mothers who seek for high-performance household cleaning products which are safe for their home and family.
- BROWIT: Target group is young ladies who are enthusiastic about premium quality cosmetic products which helps them achieve professional-looking makeup to boost her confidence and self-esteem.
- THA: Target audience is young men and women who are trendy, fashionable and love taking care of themselves, looking for beauty products that provide their skin with gentle ingredients and ultra-nourishing benefits.